Registration of change of name, patronymic and surname

Registration of change of name, patronymic and surname

Citizens of the Republic of Azerbaijan are allowed to change their name, patronymic and surname after reaching the age of 18. It is not allowed to change the name, patronymic, surname during the criminal proceeding as a suspect or accused, if person has an expunged or untried conviction, as well as if person has been subjected to compulsory medical measures.

Required documents

  • Completed application 
  • Notarized copy of identification card of the applicant (şəxsiyyət vəsiqəsi)
  • Birth certificate of the applicant;
  • Marriage certificate, if married
  • Divorce certificate, if divorced
  • Birth certificates of children, if applicant has children under the age of 18.
  • Notarized copy of Military registration or Military ID (Hərbi bilet)
  • Two photos (3x4 cm)

Required persons

  • Applicant himself(herself);
  • Authorized persons on the basis of a notarized power of attorney.


  • 20 USD. 


  • Surname change of one of the spouses does not mean a change of the surname of the other.
  • When a person’s name is changed, the father's name of his minor children is also changed. The patronymic of an adult is changed only if they have applied it.
  • If surnames of both parents are changed, the surnames of the minors are also changed. If one of the parents changes his / her surname, the issue of changing the surname of his / her minor children shall be resolved by agreement between the parents and in the absence of consent, by the guardianship and trusteeship authority of the local executive authority.
  • When the surname or father's name of one or both parents is changed, the surname and father's name of the adult child shall be changed at the request of the adult child.
  • If one or both parents change their name, patronymic, surname, the information about the parents is also changed in the birth certificate records of both minors and adults. The application of adult children is not required for this. If the adoptive parents are registered as the adoptive parent, the records of the birth certificate of the minor and the adult, the record of the adoption act, as well as the record of the act of determination of paternity shall be amended in the same manner.

Search in archive